The process: Allocation of signs
There were well known pedestrian traffic issues in the precinct, which could be relieved by a complete reallocation of signage. After studying pedestrian and traffic patterns within the precinct and gaining feedback from local staff, important decision points and dwell zones
The existing signage and timetable information was clustered around bus boarding points. In some cases there were even two signs side by side, which led to crowding as people looking at timetables mingled with others who were boarding. Overall there was enough space in the precinct, but empty areas away from bus boarding points indicated problematic clustering of people and information.
I decided that the best way to nudge passengers away from boarding points was to relocate major signage in a way that separated different usage requirements and created new dwell spaces for different pedestrian uses.
There were three main sign types employed in the precinct: A primary identification pylon sign at the precinct entrance, A wayfinding sign on the platform, A timetable-holding totem sign where buses stopped.
The primary identification sign was situated in a good location, but had colour contrast issues.
The wayfinding sign performed no real function other than pointing out services that stopped in the precinct. It sat mid platform in the middle of the precinct. It’s role was to announce what services connected to the stop, but was only visible to people sitting the bus parked in front of it, but the precinct held up to 5 buses at one time. It was designed to hold arrows pointing towards service departure points, but they weren’t required in this precinct.
The timetable totem signs were sighted in a way that encouraged people to cluster at boarding points which was seriously impacting on precinct performance.
Firstly I moved the wayfinding sign to one of the precinct entrances where it’s stop identification module and connecting services listing would be visible to all approaching buses as well as pedestrians approaching from parked cars. This confirmed the location to people arriving by bus and showed people in parked cars which way to go to catch buses. It allowed people to see connecting services before they entered the precinct.
Secondly I moved the redesigned timetable information away from bus stopping points, drawing people away. This created a new dwell zone well away from any boarding point into an area with open space and seating, but still within clear visual range of the bus boarding point.
Timetable information would be redesigned separately and moved to a large information hub in a central location along the bus platform. The new timetable information included much clearer geographic and service route maps as well as much improved legibility on the timetables themselves.
Lastly, I de-cluttered the bus boarding point. All that remained where buses stopped was a simple boarding point sign on a flag pole that took up far less space. In effect, primary passenger dwell zones were physically separated from boarding points.
Additionally, I allocated new signage to help show areas of the precinct that were out of the direct line of sight of passengers. This included tickets, waiting rooms, toilets and a customer service desk. A waiting area sign would perform an additional supporting role in identifying the stop for people who were arriving by bus. It would be visible directly to people sitting onboard an arriving bus.